Friday, March 31, 2017

What Gram Said, Part One

Happy Friday! I hope everyone enjoys theirs.
I have something for all of you. I'm particularly proud of this piece but it's a bit longer so I'll be posting in two parts. Be sure to check back tomorrow!
 
"What Gram Said"

My Gram, she spent the last third of her life in a nursin’ home with a tube in her neck. I visited every Sundays until I moved some months back. We’d sit in that dull community room with the TV on, me on the couch and her in her wheelchair.
“Avery,” Gram always said. “Avery?”
“Yes, Gram?” I always replied, like clockwork.
“When someone dies, a cardinal is born. Where’s my cardinal, Avery?”
“I’m sure it’s comin’ sooner or later.”
She wanted to die. Always had. But, they outlawed the Voluntary Death Amendment back in ’25 so she didn’t have no choice in the matter.
I always told her it would come for her, like I knew she wanted, every time except the last visit.

To Be Continued...
©2017 Emily Blue

No comments:

Post a Comment