Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Be Better, Not The Best


I recently heard something that really made me think. I think I saw it on Twitter, though I’m sure the person who posted it isn’t the first person to say something like this. What I heard was that you never stop making self-improvements.
That seems like such a simple thing, right? It’s so self-explanatory. But I think that’s something we forget about in our individual quests to be the best. The only thing is that there’s no such thing as the best. Someone is always going to do better than you, and someone is always going to be worse.
Even if you reach the top of your field, or if you become the fastest, the strongest, the smartest, you can always push past your own limits. You can find new limits. You can begin to work on something else. It never stops. Even a few years ago, thinking of this would have made me feel defeated. What’s the point? Hell, even now, I still feel my resolution fade in the face of that idea. However, sometimes, I also think it’s kind of exciting. Times change and I can change with them, or I can continue to hone what I know. The world is doubly open to me.
I don’t know what that means to anyone else, but to me it means that I will continue to write and read, stretching my mental muscles. I can play with various mediums of art, testing and refining. I can play the piano. I can learn to play chess and dabble in photography, and practice yoga poses.
I can be me. I can be a better me, but never the BEST me, because that would mean it’s the end. And, as we all know, it’s about the journey and not the destination. 
Be sure to check me out at www.facebook.com/authoremilyblue or follow me on Twitter, where my handle is @Miss_Emily_Blue. I post different content for each platform, so be sure you can catch all of it!

~Blue

No comments:

Post a Comment