Sunday, December 2, 2018

A Short-Short Story!

I want to try to spend more time writing in my free time. I have so many hobbies and I gain new ones all the time, but I have to remember my first true love: the written word. I recently wrote a short piece that I'm very proud of and I've decided to post it here. I hope I'll be doing more like this soon.
I'm going to go ahead and do all my usual stuff here. Please consider following my author page on Facebook. It's www.facebook.com/authoremilyblue/ Or, I'm also on Twitter @Miss_Emily_Blue if you want to follow me there. Thanks!
Without further ado, here is "Never Once." Please Enjoy!

Never once did I believe, during those hazily-remembered days of summer warmth spent in the yard, curled in a grass nest with my imaginary tail over my paws, observing the neighborhood through slitted eyes, that my pretending hinted at more. An ancestry, a curse, a long-forgotten twist of fate which defined me long before I knew of it.
Mother wept often when she thought I couldn’t hear. I understand now my tendencies saddened her. She couldn’t enjoy who I was for the truth of what I would become.
I think, perhaps, she was wrong to worry. I used to, as well; I have learned much since those first trepidatory nights of terror and pain. I wear my battle scars with pride, the jagged points of my torn ears like a queen’s crown. But, I have no domain. I have found peace in the past and chose to leave that idyllic harmony behind in search of more. My spirit paces.
Tonight, it has taken me here to what feels to be the top of the world, pulses of chill wind caressing my tabby pelt. The city scintillates far below this tower, as if the stars in heaven saw fit to come to the earth. The city breathes, as alive as myself, as alive as the people who course through its veins in persistent rhythm. Its heart throbs in time with blinking neon and flickering lights magnified through countless windows.
Looking at this, I wonder if my curse may actually be a blessing.

©2018 Emily Blue

No comments:

Post a Comment