Monday, December 31, 2018

Happy -almost- New Year!

I did have a different story planned to post, but then I got it in my head to write one centered around the New Year. Timely, right? I'm on top of things for once! Well, the story isn't so much about the upcoming New Year as much as it... mentions it. So, I bent my own rules. Oh, well. I'll punish me later.
I do have some resolutions planned for the year, but they mostly consist of doing more of the things I already do. I want to be healthier, happier, more balanced. I'm already endeavoring to be a better version of myself, so why not keep going, keep growing?
But that's enough about me. You all know the drill. My author page is facebook.com/authoremilyblue and you can find me @Miss_Emily_Blue.
Now, it's time for... "General Holladay's Resolution"


The man on the screen swept out his arm, a glowing field of blue energy blasting through the room, shattering equipment and sending shrapnel flying. Shards of metal punctured through the skin of the humanoid creature on the other end of the room, high-pressured jets of blood spurting from the wounds in its carapace. The scene dissolved into a kaleidoscopic mist, an image of a vast galaxy forming from the swirling blur of color. 
Words drifted into existence, superimposed on the white-gold elliptical. 
“I didn’t answer the call. The call answered me.”
After ten years playing General Holladay, ten years being voted the Most Heroic Man in the Universe, I still had no idea what the hell that catchphrase was. What the shit did it mean? The recruitment call for the Planet Alliance Force, and it sounded as angst-riddled and self-important as something a 14-year-old thought up for an imaginary argument that would never happen.
“What do you think, Bradlee?” asked the man sitting in front of the screen, wearing his favorite hat and fashionably-rumpled suit. “I feel like we can do better.” He sighed. 
“It’s raw and gritty, Director,” I said, telling him what I knew he wanted to hear. “They’ll eat it up.”
Director Mark Jacobson nodded and pressed his lips together. He had that unsatisfied expression he wore as often as his suit, which meant he would hound the editors and animators to polish this next broadcast until the first of the new year, when the entire world would watch under the belief it was all happening real-time.
Only those in the know were aware of the truth, that this fear-mongering production had been engineered by the Society to keep the general population under control. When threats came from all around, strange beasts and unimaginable technology pulled from the darkest recesses of the human imagination, combatted only by a small force of specialized space soldiers, no one bothered to argue with their government.
“There won’t be anything to worry about.” I consoled Mark, knowing the words were really for me.
I might be an actor, a liar for profit, but I had also become husband to Cynthia Holo, “Captain of the Third Squad,” and now father to our daughter, Merry. 
This frightened world was not one I wanted my daughter to live in.
I patted Mark on the shoulder. “Are we done here?”
“What?” he said, absently. “Yes. Thank you, Bradley. Your input is as invaluable as always.”
I left the screening room, walking through the light-studded studio hallways. The illumination used to make me feel so important, but now I huddled my shoulders around my neck and hurried to my private room, where the lights could not reveal the secrets I felt were written so apparently on my face. 
A bottle of spiced whiskey and a canister of Calm capsules awaited me on the dressing table where I placed them earlier. By dinnertime tonight, when a series of scheduled messages launched from my computer, containing months of gathered evidence as to the falsehood created here in the Society’s hidden settlement, I would be beyond any sort of medical assistance.
Cynthia could find someone better to raise Merry. The revolution this evidence would create could find a better figurehead than an aging actor. 
I went to my room, my death chamber, sad, but also satisfied. 
And thirsty.

The End

No comments:

Post a Comment