Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Idea Factory



I have an idea factory in my head that works at all times of day and night. Like any writer, I have dozens of stories I want to write someday. Sometimes I forget the ideas I have until they resurface, with a new plot element, or character, or a specific scene. I don’t know how it happens. I don’t think any writer really knows how it happens, for all that we might talk about inspiration or writing what we know.
I do my best thinking when my mind is wandering. When I’m doing some sort of mindless behavior, like walking or showering or waiting to fall asleep. Sometimes when I listen to music, a scene plays in my mind to the beat of the song, following the lyrics. It’s just something that comes out of nowhere.
Recently, the idea factory passed a new idea through for my inspection, a bit of depth to a previous plot line. I like it a lot and I think there’s real potential, but I probably won’t be able to get to it for a while. I have too many other projects going on, so this idea goes back into the factory to see if it might have a little more growing to do. It should. There’s always room to blossom further.
That is, coincidentally, how I feel about Agenda 21, which is the book I said I was reading last week. I finished it. I would recommend it to anyone who’s a fan of post-apocalyptic stories. However, this isn’t a book full of zombies, or bloodshed. It’s a quieter sort of collapse. A collapse caused by order. It’s an interesting story and it had my attention all the way through, though I feel like there isn’t as much detail as I would have liked. That’s understandable, seeing as the main character has no real power and wouldn’t know much of anything, but still.
There is a sequel, which I hope to read soon, but this week’s book is Phantoms by…Dean Koontz! I seem to remember liking this book in the past, so hopefully it goes well.
I think that's all for now! Be sure to check me out at www.facebook.com/authoremilyblue, or follow me on Twitter, where my handle is @Miss_Emily_Blue.
Until next time!

~Blue


No comments:

Post a Comment