Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Getting Better

I guess this week the blog is a Wednesday thing! Although this time, I do have a reason.
Saturday, I had a depressive episode. It was a pretty bad one. I doubted myself from start to finish. Seeing as I have just started a new work project, this was a pretty bad time for it.
Saturday turned to Sunday and...that was it. I woke up and wasn't quite myself, but by the time I got things rolling, I felt better. I'm still a little behind on work but the past couple days I've managed to do extra and I'm managing to gain ground.
And this is how I know I'm getting better. I might not have anything figured out. I'm still as clueless as ever. I'll probably always be clueless and unsure and doubtful, and I'll struggle forever.
But I'm getting better.
And I know because my episode only lasted one day, instead of several.
I know because I can sing in the car and the sound of my own voice doesn't make me hate myself.
Because sometimes I think I look nice.
Because I laugh a little more.
I'm getting better, because I'm trying.
So, I've got both of my revised-and-ready short stories out there, floating around, awaiting judgment. I'm compiling notes, consolidating them all in one spot. I'm working. I'm going for walks on occasion. I am trying.
I finished reading The Troop by Nick Cutter, which I mentioned in my last post. I enjoyed it. The writing style was very crisp, very detailed, very visceral. I feel like it had a bit too many similes and metaphors, relied a little too heavily on comparisons in some places, instead of telling me how things were. It was also more of a body horror type of novel, what Stephen King would call a "gross-out." However, it wasn't what I would call gratuitous. There was a purpose to it.
I also enjoyed the format of the book itself. Chapters punctuated with news articles, dairy entries, and the like. The author said he took inspiration from King for that, and it was very well done.
The story itself revolves around a troop of boy scouts who head to a secluded island for a scheduled trip, but not everything goes as planned. Someone arrives. Or rather, something. 
I'd check it out if any of that interests you. It was worth the read. And no, I'm not sponsored. I just enjoyed it.
That's all for now. Be sure to check up on me over at facebook.com/authoremilyblue.
Until next time.

~Blue

No comments:

Post a Comment