Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Playing With Words

I keep meaning to write these for Monday but I guess fate just wants them to be a Tuesday thing. As long as they get written at all. I think I'm getting better at remembering to update all these social media things (except for Twitter. My Twitter is a disgrace.) It's not so much a matter of finding the time to do these things, since they don't take long at all. It's more about finding the will. I want to think that I'm getting better at that, too.
I'll be sending out that story I wrote about last week, that I was so proud of. I usually struggle with short stories more than I do with novels. It's hard to resist the temptation to stretch out and play with the words, like you can do with longer works. Short stories require a different sort of skill entirely, the ability to say exactly what needs to be said and nothing more. Sometimes, it's even less about that and more about knowing what doesn't need said.
I finished up with a work deadline recently so I've got a couple free days. I intend to do a lot of reading and writing. I haven't quite decided whether I'll be starting an entirely new story, focusing on my novel in progress, or if I'll work on reviving something from the past. I want to do all of them at once but if I try to take on all of that, I'll end up psyching myself out with the workload. It's quality over quantity, any day. Sometimes the two ideals meet up and shake hands, but that's a rare thing.
The book I'll be reading is called The Troop by Nick Cutter. I stumbled across it while looking through lists of good horror novels and I'm hoping I'll be pleasantly surprised. I also just finished up Lostboy by Christina Henry, which was an exquisite dark, heart-wrenching take on the classic tale of Peter Pan. Never before has growing up been so bitter. I highly recommend it, and her writing in general.
That's all for now. Be sure to check up on me over at facebook.com/authoremilyblue.
Until next time.

~Blue

No comments:

Post a Comment